When a child’s ability to perform is significantly higher than what is expected of their development, they are considered gifted. Children can be gifted in certain areas (reading, visuospatial abilities, musically, etc.) Often, this is manifested through academics although many gifted children have increased reasoning abilities but are not necessarily high achievers. At Serin Center, we can provide evaluations to assess if your child is intellectually gifted.
Your child may be gifted if they:
- Are quick to learn complex tasks
- Are excelling in school
- Are bored in class because the work is not challenging
- Demonstrate an extensive memory
- Demonstrate an advanced vocabulary for their age
- Are able to use abstract thinking and problem-solving skills
- Have advanced reading comprehension skills compared to his or her peers
- Experience extreme emotions
- Demonstrate high levels of emotional awareness
- Have impressive musical or artistic abilities
Some gifted children experience difficulties in being underwhelmed or underchallenged by their surroundings. They may be underachieving in class as well (Winner, 1996) . This may be due to:
- A mismatch between students and environment
- Poor self-esteem
- Fear of failure
- Under-challenging coursework
- Lack of interest in topics
- Fear of being teased
Children who are gifted are often put in classes or programs that better suit their abilities and interest levels so that they may exercise their full potential. Serin Center professionals can assess for giftedness as well as support gifted children and accompany parents in addressing the needs of their child.
What We Don’t Treat
We are not an emergency clinic. We are an outpatient provider so we do not have inpatient facilities. We are not a hospital and do not provide detox services for addictions. We do not treat schizophrenia or brain disorders related to advancing age such as dementia or Alzheimer’s. We are not contracted with any court system and do not provide court ordered services related to child custody or other matters.